In this guide, created by and for freelancers, you will find tips, expert databases, and practical tools for journalists covering gender issues and journalists reporting on other topics interested in improving gender balance in their stories.
💡 Download your guide and learn how to:
- Look for gender balance and representation in your sources to tackle the marginalisation of women and LGBTQ+ people voices.
- Choose your words and images carefully to avoid perpetuating stereotypes.
- Address implicit biases - including your own.
- Avoid being reductive and understand that men, women, transgender people and other identities are not homogenous groups.
- Explore gender and identity angles in your stories
- Report on sexual and gender-based violence
- Report on transgender persons.
Freelance journalists can help improve coverage of poverty reduction by pitching stories that offer new angles on this topic or interrogate contentious decisions or proposed solutions.
For freelance journalists, reporting on environmental issues and climate change is a chance to cover a diverse range of stories, places and characters with an opportunity to build data, multimedia and storytelling skills to better engage audiences.